As you have seen on this website, the food drop missions ment a lot for the people in holland.
The people wanted to remember the event with memorabilia.
The following items are from my own collection:
Postcard 2000 The American veterans handed these cards out at the commemoration in May 2000
Tile of the Swedish Red Cross food aid in early 1945.
Tile commemorating the food drop missions.
Liberation newspaper containing the food drop cartoon.
Welfare Biscuits cans. The cans where packed per two in wooden crates as you can see on the photo. On top of the crate you can see the original biscuits. The biscuit cans where not dropped by the aircrafts but they came into Holland during operation faust.
Food ration coupons from 1944.
Pictures of other items where send to me:
- Tile ---- Close-up Tile commemorating the food drop in Holland. The text reads: Voedsel Vrede Vrijheid (Food Peace Freedom)
- Medal This medal was given to the veterans upon their first official return to Holland in 1985.
- Commemoration plate - Gemeente Vlaardingen
- Blazer badge
- Commemoration plate - added 28 april 2010Text: "In plaats van bommen dood en verderf kwam air-dropped voedsel op ons erf (in stead of bombs, death and destruction, food dropped from the sky landed on our land)"
- Commemoration plate / backside - added 28 april 2010
- Tile commemorating the 50th aniversary of the liberation of holland with a picture of the food drops - added 28 april 2010
- Pencil drawing of operation manna
- Oil painting - Schiphol airfield - operation chowhound
- Operation Manna I - painting by Gale Cochran-Smith - available here
- Operation Manna II - painting by Gale Cochran-Smith - available here
- Operation Manna III - painting by Gale Cochran-Smith - available here
- Operation Manna - painting by John Rutherford - Canada - information here
- Prelude to peace - painting by Ronald Wong - information here
- 40th Anniversary commemorative envelope - information here
- Photo cards of operation chowhound
- Postal cards of operation manna
- drawing of liberation and food drop
- Aid from Sweden - Butter
RAF Operation Manna 45th Anniversary Plate 1945-1990 - Boxed
Front - Back Fine Bone China plate approximately 9.5 inches diameter
Made in England by W Bates & Co, Stoke-on-Trent, England
Inscription on back of plate reads
'As a remembrance to that magnificent operation "Manna", Food from the air for the starving Dutch in the west of Holland. Really "Manna from Heaven" for the Dutch, which will never be forgotten by them and the crews who flew on those mercy missions from the 29th of April to the 8th of May 1945'
Designed by Ex-Rear Gunner Jim Davis who flew on Operation Manna in 1945.
If you have a tile, postcard, or else that remembers of the food drop missions, than please send me a picture of the item and I will post it here.More documents and memorabilia here